Economic Development Strategy
Attracting industrial investment anywhere in Alberta can be challenging, given the energy slowdown and current economic conditions.
Through support of the Province of Alberta's Coal Transition program, the Village commissioned an economic development study and action plan. Taking a broader view on all aspects of the Village’s and regional economy, the study’s focus includes:
- assessing the current state of the Village economy, business base and demographics
- identifying and levering on existing assets and strengths and means to address key gaps and weaknesses
- strategies for retaining and supporting existing businesses including ‘main street’ revitalization
- approaches for attracting new investment including retail / commercial and industrial enterprises
Download the strategy here.
The Economic Development Strategy drew on input from the business community as well as residents through a citizen survey. Interests such as increasing local shopping options, addressing criminal activity and levering on positive momentum of recent investment activity have been raised.
The Village is always looking for Champions who will promote Warburg as a great place to live and do business. Ongoing activities to become involved with include:
- Resident and business community meetings
- Training sessions for business, involving regional support organizations
- Business to business meetings
- 'Buy Local' campaign
- Special Events and tourist visits
- Tie-ins with the EDKRA Karting Club
- Community signage